Generic Name: Ispaghula
Product Name: Fybogel
- Indication of Fybogel
- Action of Fybogel
- Dose Advice of Fybogel
- Schedule of Fybogel
- Side Effects of Fybogel
Indication of Fybogel:
May help to relieve constipation and maintain bowel regularity.
Your doctor will be able to advise if this product is suitable for you. Consult your doctor before taking any medication or supplement.
Action of Fybogel:
Fybogel is made of a natural substance called Ispaghula husk, which has a great capacity to absorb water. When taken orally, it travels to the colon without being absorbed into the bloodstream. Once in the colon, it attracts and absorbs water, which helps to soften stools. Healthy bacteria that live in the colon also feed on Ispaghula and their increasing numbers also help to make the faeces softer and easier to evacuate.
Dose Advice of Fybogel:
- Fybogel powder should always be mixed with water and taken as a drink straight away.
- Available in regular or orange flavour.
- Bulking agents such as Fybogel are the only laxatives acceptable for long-term use.
Mix the following with water and take immediately, preferably after meals:
- Adults and children >12 years: - 1 sachet morning and evening.
- Children <12 years: - 1/2 sachet morning and evening.
- Children < 6 years: - Seek medical advice before using Fybogel in children under the age of 6.
Always read the label. If you have any queries about the correct way to use this product, please ask your doctor. Individual results may vary.
- Intestinal obstruction.
- Colon atony (e.g: senile megacolon).
- Known hypersensitivity to ispaghula, aspartame or saccharin sodium.
- Phenylketonurics should be warned that Fybogel is sweetened with a product that contains phenylalanine.
Pregnancy and lactation
- Ispaghula husk is not absorbed into the system so Fybogel is safe for use in pregnancy and lactation.
If you have any concerns, please speak with your doctor.
Schedule of Fybogel:
Unscheduled. Fybogel is a complementary medicine or listed medicine in Australia.
Side Effects of Fybogel:
Fybogel may cause:
- Abdominal discomfort;
These effects are more often seen initially and decrease as the patient becomes used to the product.
Diarrhoea may be seen if excessive doses are taken.
Allergies to the ingredients used in this product may still develop. Typical allergic symptoms include:
Seek urgent medical assistance if you experience:
- Severe swelling;
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
If you experience any symptoms that appear abnormal or unusual, please tell your doctor.
Diseases treated by Fybogel:
- Diverticular Disease (Diverticulosis; Diverticulitis)
- Haemorrhoids (Piles) (Haemorrhoids (Piles; Hemorrhoids))
Please note that the Product Information including information such as what a product should be used for, how it works, the dosage and relevant side effects is created by the company who makes the product. For registered medicines, the Product Information is carefully validated by the relevant Australian health authority, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). However, for complementary medicines the Product Information is NOT routinely checked by the TGA. Therefore it is important that you do NOT take any complementary medicine without first speaking with your doctor.
|Modified: 15/3/2011||Created: 22/7/2003|
Australia’s leading source for trustworthy medical information written by health professionals.
Please be aware that we do not give advice on your individual medical condition,
Parenting information is available at Parenthub.com.au
|^ Back to Top|