School Hunger Buster Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1/4 cup raisins
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Mix in the apple and raisins. Pour into non-stick muffin cups.
- Cook, cool and start eating!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Difficulty rating: Easy
- Add different types of fruit to keep the kids guessing! Banana and berries are also great muffin ingredients. All fruits contain micronutrients that will help keep your body healthy.
- Use wholemeal plain flour instead of white flour. Wholemeal flour and other whole-grain products contain more fibre than their white equivalents. Fibre is an important micronutrient used by the gastrointestinal system for digestion.
- Get the kids involved. Making muffins is a great way to keep them entertained on a rainy day.
- Serve with a dollop of low-fat cream cheese. It's delicious and you'll get extra calcium, which will maintain the health of your teeth and bones. Some people have higher calcium requirements, including:
- Use a gluten-free flour like rice flour to make this recipe gluten free and suitable for people with coeliac disease.
These muffins come fresh from Andrea's oven in Nerang, QLD.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||5.5 g|
|Saturated fat||0.5 g|
|Total sugars||14.4 g|
For more information on nutrition, including information on types and composition of food, nutrition and people, conditions related to nutrition, and diets and recipes, as well as some useful videos and tools, see Nutrition.
|Modified: 11/10/2011||Created: 10/10/2011|
Australia’s leading source for trustworthy medical information written by health professionals.
Please be aware that we do not give advice on your individual medical condition,
Parenting information is available at Parenthub.com.au
|^ Back to Top|