Generic Name: Nortriptyline hydrochloride
Product Name: Allegron
- Indication of Allegron
- Action of Allegron
- Dose advice of Allegron
- Schedule of Allegron
- Common side effects of Allegron
- Uncommon side effects of Allegron
Indication of Allegron:Nortriptyline is most commonly used for the treatment of major depression.Nortriptyline may also be used to treat nocturnal enuresis (bedwetting), and urinary urge incontinence.
Action of Allegron:Nortriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA). The action of this class of drugs is not well understood, but they probably exert their anti-depressant effect by inhibiting the reuptake of the chemicals noradrenaline and serotonin in the brain.
Dose advice of Allegron:For treatment of depression:
- 25mg 3-4 times daily. Dosage is usually begun at a low level and increased as required to a maximum daily dose of 100mg/day.
- 10-25mg 1-3 times daily.
- Child 7-10 years, weighing 25-35kg: give 10-20mg 30-60 minutes before bedtime;
- Child >10 years, weighing 35-54kg: give 25-50mg 30-60 minutes before bedtime.
- The maximum period of treatment is 3 months. Nortriptyline should not be used to treat enuresis in children under 7 years of age.
Schedule of Allegron:S4
Common side effects of Allegron:
- Dry mouth;
- Blurred vision;
- Weight gain;
- Dizziness or light-headedness on standing (caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure);
- Difficulty passing urine;
- Impotence or loss of libido;
- Agitation; or
Uncommon side effects of Allegron:
- Abnormalities of heart rhythm (arrhythmias), or very rarely heart attack;
- Hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar);
- Changes in body temperature (either decreased or increased);
- Breast enlargement (in men and women); and
- Allergic reactions.
- AMH Pty Ltd. Nortriptyline. Australian Medicines Handbook, July 2006.
- Lexi-Comp, Inc. 'Nortriptyline: Drug information' [online], UpToDate.com. 2006. Available at URL: http://www.uptodate.com (last accessed 23/9/06)
- MIMS Australia Pty Ltd [online]. Allegron. MediMedia; NSW: 2005.
Diseases treated by Allegron:
For further information talk to your doctor.
|Modified: 28/9/2006||Reviewed: 23/9/2006||Created: 22/7/2003|
List Drugs by Medical Area
Australia’s leading source for trustworthy medical information written by health professionals.
Please be aware that we do not give advice on your individual medical condition,
Parenting information is available at Parenthub.com.au
|^ Back to Top|